Vietspices Search

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Đậu Hũ Dâu Tây (Strawberry with Soft Silken Tofu in Yuzu Dressing)


Thank you everyone for your prayers, emails and messages of support and care during my absence from the blog and FB. April was a difficult month for me and my family as my dad passed away. It was difficult to be in the right mindset to blog given the circumstances. It's sad thinking of his passing, but at the same time I am happy for him, knowing that he's free from our physical limitations. The part about grieving that has helped me the most is realizing that there's life to be lived and what my husband has shared with me about resilience:

Never stop loving, never stop living
Never stop learning, never stop earning
Never stop growing, never stop giving

I want to dedicate this post to my dad. He was a vegetarian for many years until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's that took away his memory and eventually bodily functions.

This strawberry with soft silken tofu is a delightful and healthy appetizer dish. It's seasoned with a savory yuzu citrus dressing, topped with the nutty, chili oil with crunchy garlic.  The shiso leaves that are garnished in this dish add a pleasantly mild minty, gingery taste, lending depth to the flavor. 
 *
RECIPE: Strawberry with Soft Silken Tofu in Yuzu Dressing
Printable Recipe
*
*
Ingredients


1 block of soft silken tofu, available at Costco
a few fresh strawberries
shiso leaves, available at Japanese or Korean market
yuzu citrus dressing
crunchy garlic in chili oil sauce
*
Directions
*
Preparing Strawberries


Cut strawberries in any shapes you prefer.  I cut mine in heart-and flower shapes.  Set aside.


*
Preparing Tofu



Cut tofu in half. Cut each half into squared slices.
*
Preparing Shiso Leaves

It's always nice to be able to pick the shiso leaves in my vegetable garden whenever I need it for my dishes. Shiso plant is so easy to grow but it's quite expensive to buy the shiso at the market. I used to pay $2 for a bunch of about 6 leaves.  If you are interested, you can find the seeds at your local Japanese market.



Cut shiso leaves in half. Cut leaves the same size as tofu pieces.
*
Assembling Strawberry Tofu

Where I live is surrounded by farmers.  I can spot fruit stands, cows, horses, fresh chicken eggs signs all around.  When the strawberry season comes, my family would make a mini trip to pick up some fresh, delicious strawberries. 



*

Gently stack together a piece of shiso leaf between the tofu and strawberry.




Garnish tofu with crunchy garlic chili oil.



Gently pour the yuzu sauce on the bottom of the tofu.  Add a few drops of chili oil onto the sauce. 


*
Presentation


Scoop up each piece of tofu with the strawberry and some sauce with a spoon and enjoy.

Eat well.  Stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment